Another snowy day here in the Michigan with -11 temps so staying inside and focusing on work has been easy. I’m tempted to discuss a few issues I’ve observed as of late – but I don’t want to dwell on other’s negatives when we have so many positives unfolding. Since this blog is to help others grow it would not be interesting to just talk about the roses. My opinions are based upon my years of experience and you all are free to explore my filmography if you wish. I think some of you are here because of that and if so – I thank you. I will let my past work speak for my expertise in certain areas.
Now often observations are not always appreciated especially if they put something in a shaded light. Many about would rather the subject(s) stay hidden in the dark. I say, if they don’t affect my endeavors I guess they are fine residing there. I know that human nature when focused upon accumulation of material things or accolades has a very USE, USE, TAKE, TAKE mentality. I’m often hesitant to spend precious time on people or endeavors that drain and take but do not return the same energy. I’ve had a few people successfully drain like this for a short period until they are just cut off. I’ve had people literally say, “We’ve gotten all we are going to get out of myself and/or CDI”. Oh, had these people been sincere so much more could have been available. Why try to steal crumbs from the floor when if you had been sincere I would have invited you to the table to eat and drink your fill?
Additionally, I’ve also spent precious time giving council and encouragement to some only to have that kindness forgotten when one cannot face the shame for their own poor actions. It’s as if you don’t invite someone to a party if they know the dirt that was swept under the rug. Actually I don’t mind missing most social events these days but it is the thought that counts. A common statement but a true one that really defines the character of people. I wish all people well but I know certain actions and character traits will not lead to real success just temporary appeasement of the self-delusion. I will end this with one of my favorite sayings that almost always holds true, you reap what you sow.
Now let’s see what is growing in the garden from the seeds we’ve sown.
– I’ve recently completed the script on a powerful little film that has already gotten distributors making offers. It is a passion project and smaller in scope but I have no doubt the impact it will have. It will shoot in AZ and we will soon be doing some casting calls. I wanted to let people know we will be using the new IMDB Casting as we are now associated with them. Among the castings I will say that I will be looking for powerful pre-teen actors – one that could pass for a young version of myself. If you fit this description feel free to email your reel to me directly. (firstname.lastname@example.org) A formal press release on this project will be forthcoming.
Speaking of press releases you all should be on the look out for new releases updating on the progress of “ASHES OF EDEN,” “BESTSELLER,” “DONORS” and more…
Marketing and poster work is underway to give the distributors something to chew on. The 1st rough cut of “Bestseller” is done and so far the footage is looking great. I’ve previewed the first hour and the smile on my face is because we’ve got a very engaging film. “Ashes of Eden” is near the end of post and that film WILL move you with the emotional performances. Shane Hagedorn and I have been having lots of discussions on all aspects of this film. Stay tuned for many bouts of good news about this film including possible foreign theatrical releases.
There are many new talks with distributors over licensing and development. I think this month we will be announcing new distribution territories. Last month saw the release of “Locked in a Room” to Germany, Austria and Switzerland and on March 28th “Darkest Night” will release to the same market. With a half-dozen of our films in these territories our fanbase over there is growing quickly. There will be more to come so thank you so much to those foreign audiences for allowing us to entertain you.
Domestic sales continue on several of the CDI associated films like “Deadly Renovations,” “Darkest Night,” “Locked in a Room,” “7 Stones” and more – so if the snow has you inside please consider taking a watch.
This week has more meetings over our TV series “Supermodel Showdown,” a new CDI film association underway and multiple licensing talks on many of the films in the CDI library. I’ve also been recently hired to write a new film script set for production in the near future. We’re not ready to discuss this property yet but it has been an extremely FUN script to write and will be an even more FUN film to shoot:) It’s an exciting time at CDI so once again thank you for the blog read. Every Saturday I will post another so if you think someone else can take something from these writings pass the blog on. Now get to work:) Remember, the fastest runners never look over their shoulder. Just keep your eye on the finish line and MOVE AHEAD!
SNOW, beautiful white snow now covers the ground. Our 4H hams are defrosting for Christmas dinner and old friends are now in town. I’ve about put the business aside so I can fully focus on the holidays. My shopping is about done and I’m looking forward to just relaxing into the holidays. There are many things winding down for the end of the year and several new things ready to go in the new year.
A nice recap and some 2013 teases
– “Book of Ruth” is the 1st of a series of biblical films. We have two more films that have committed finance and we plan to shoot them in the 1st half of 2013. If you haven’t seen this film it makes a good family watch.
– “Deadly Renovations” has its 1st foreign distributor and we will be doing a PR release about whom and some new promotional art. The talks of sequel have once again been thrown about.
– “Donors” will be releasing a first teaser trailer around the 1st of the year on the http://www.donorsthemovie.com website.
– “7 Stones” had a good Michigan TV showing. They want to submit it for a Michigan Emmy. Anyhow you cut it it was a great experience and is a story full of drama.
– “Locked in a Room” is signed, delivered and I hear the artwork for DVD release is really cool. Better yet the film is really cool. I enjoyed watching the theatrical showings with people clutching each other and yelling at the big screen.
– “Outside the Wire” is suppose to be launching its full site and DVD sales the 1st of the year. This CDI associated project makes me very proud and a big congrats to Tony Hornus and Dennis Therrian putting in the long hours.
– “Benjamin” had several NYC theatrical showings and just played in Cairo, Egypt. I got emails from new fans there in Egypt and that was heartwarming to me. It is due for a few more festivals including Michigan. After that limited theatrical and mainline domestic distribution.
– “Darkest Night” the dark Christmas tale will release in the USA on March 22nd. A few theatrical showings may go on 1st and I know some foreign distribution is underway.
– April will bring the release of “Realizism” which I fully enjoyed shooting. My character Manny was fun to play in a Robin Hood kind of way:) It will have a local theatrical run followed by DVD sales.
“Ashes of Eden” that powerful drama we shot at years end here will release a first look in Jan. 2013 so audiences can get a peek. We have had some serious distribution interest and it will be looking at the best deal for the film.
“Figure in the Forest” and “Heaven’s Neighbors” are suppose to enjoy a national DVD release finally:) It has been a long journey. “Heaven’s Neighbors” is a very good theme film in light of all the mental ill talk going on now in our nation.
Many projects look like they will birth in 2013. I will proudly try to entertain you working with the bevy of talented artists I’m so blessed to work with. Venison steaks for a few of the amigos as I’m making room for the new processed deer.
It has been a week of many things in motion and working hard to close them down. It has been a year of assigning distribution and moving things along. I’ve shot a few new films and we have a slew of new films about to launch. This home office has been one of the more challenging things I’ve taken on in many a moons. I’m a tinkering person when it comes to handy work but not a builder. Working with someone who knows what they are doing has been really a great thing. In many ways I’ve said it is like making a film. Smaller crew for sure but many things remain the same. The new FORT will be the hatching place for many new films. Let’s look at a few updates where I can provide one.
First on “7 Stones” they are revamping the sound that was in dire need. It was simply not going to pass any distributor quality control. The drama, the look all great but that sound was lacking. Now they hope to have that all done by mid November and a TV showing/premiere is planned for December just in time for Christmas. Ho! Ho! Ho!
We should have VOD (video on demand) dates for “Deadly Renovations” here soon. “Locked in a Room” is delivering to distributor. “Darkest Night” is negotiating a deal as we speak and so look forward to announcements. “Benjamin” is getting accepted into many major festivals including one now in Egypt. I heard “Realizism” has a rough cut done so that is moving nicely. “Donors” is in post and about to enter sound design/music. I would say we have quite a bit going on.
“Ashes of Eden” has been #1 on the list as of late. We have been doing some heavy castings and are about to announce some new cast members. Behind the scenes work is underway and we are soon to enter our official pre-prod phase and we hope to roll cameras end of Oct. and finish just before Thanksgiving. Our team can go eat large and get to work in post production. This is going to be one powerful film! The film is also on IMDB so feel free to follow along with that.
Soccer season is now over and so film work and winterizing has become the priority. I need to create another wind break/insulate the California Red Wood tree we have growing. We use to bring it inside during the winter but it got so big we had to put it in the ground. It survived last winter and is thriving but it needs the help. The garden has only yielding a bit of a harvest here and there but it is still something I enjoy.
On the acting front I’m excited because we did cast the actress in “Ashes” to play opposite myself. You have to watch for the next PR but an amazing talent. I’m being talked to about a role in Grand Rapids/Holland as well as a line up of 2013 projects. That is in addition to what we have lining up and so I’m excited to end the year strong and get ready for another. So have a hot apple cider and enjoy the season!
Go MSU:) Go Lions:)