Hazelnut coffee cheers on this sunny morning in Michigan. Welcome our new readers from Ireland, France and North Macedonia. I will have to look that last one up on a map. We had rain all day yesterday but compared to the storms and tornados others faced we were lucky. I usually like snow vs rain but the rain is nurturing the emerging buds springing up from the ground. I’m humbled this morning as I drink my coffee. A few days ago while eating some bread with seeds, I got a few trapped in a tooth pocket. I’m so good about my dental care and avoid such seeds but I got careless. I got the seeds out so I thought but one must have remained. The result was a multiple day toothaches that reached up into my ear. I’m a relatively tough individual but funny how we can be humbled by something so small. I felt like the lion with a thorn in his paw. It is almost back to normal after lots of salt swishes and pain meds. I usually try to avoid pain meds and tough it out but as I said, I was humbled. So to awaken to birds, sunshine and the tooth feeling close to normal is a true blessing.
I’ve been made aware of many people dealing with tough situations that makes the toothache seem minor. I’m renewing my focus and diligence to stay away from seeds and such. The pain is bad enough to make one want to stay on a diet of applesauce. My thoughts go out to the many people I know having their own issues. But everyone is facing something and if you are not, enjoy that time, embrace those moments. My alumni school MSU finished their basketball season. That last game of theirs was such a nail bitter I’m not sure I’m cut out for watching sports. You have no control over the outcome. Soon soccer season will be starting and that is more to my liking, and I have some control over the outcome.
As we close out this month let’s look at the updates from last week-
- SILENT NIGHT IN ALGONA has had continuous theatrical play since Dec. 9th but they are slowing down. Unless a third party engages it could come to an end. We might play a few festivals and events like the Red Letter Awards in TN. Talks with our home video distributor have gone great and everyone is excited about it. Our home video distributor is Bridgestone Multimedia Group. They’ve done a very good job with our previous releases. The plan is to release on home video this fall on the run up to the holiday season. Once I get some paperwork returned we’ll do some PR on the deal. I’m excited to have this story be seen by millions. Thank you to everyone who has reached out with such beautiful words.
- HARSENS ISLAND REVENGE – We’ve been full speed ahead on our next #tribeCDI film. Our cast and crew are filling up fast and we’re 85% there. Last week we announced more cast attached such as Taylor Nichols, Garry Nation and Christine Marie. We’ll be doing a Michigan casting call here soon for some of the remaining roles. Various departments are hard at work and next week a new polished version of the script will be sent around. The opening of the film is very powerful as it starts during WW1 before jumping ahead a few years. We needed a powerhouse German actor to open the film and thankfully SNIA gave us a good selection of excellent talent. Mr. Bejo Dohmen landed that role. Anyone who saw SNIA will immediately understand our choice.
- SPIRIT LAKE MASSACRE is in development and I’ve been doing some breakdowns on that film to present. Like all projects it could move fast or slow. SNIA took almost 15 years to come to the big screen. This project is much larger in scope and so we’ll see how fast or slow it develops. A project seems to happen when it is the story’s time. We will see said the wise man. But it would have us back in Iowa. We have built a family there much like anyplace CDI goes to film a story.
- SHJ– The supernatural thriller is looking to be targeting a Spring start versus Winter since the script needs an update. I watched NOPE, this weekend and I saw some aspects/scope of the film to be akin to what we are looking to do. Prep. Prep. Prep.
- KNIGHT CHILLS Blu Ray- CDI’s maiden film was a low budget film about role players playing a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I’m excited to see the 4k version of this film. We are starting to collect interviews for the upcoming release. It is fun to be preserving these films and putting them back out there. Several CDI films will be getting that treatment. It is just time consuming because of everything else going on.
- My first film I led, IN THE WOODS is also getting this treatment. The film stock was retransferred and a new version is being put together. Director Lynn Drzick is talking about adding a few scenes back in. There is talk of a new anniversary release into the theaters and more. We already had “The Making of ‘In the Woods'” original script released in book form with lots of extras. Look it up on Amazon. Even more exciting to me is the line of collectors toys being put together. Devil Dog, The Tall Creature and even Alex Kerwood, monster hunter. That’s right. I’m going to finally get that action figure. I will be making plans to go get 3D scanned in the near future. I’ve also been working on outlining a sequel script. It will be a while before that comes together but plans are in motion.
- FOR THE LOVE OF CATCH 2– Director Curran Jacobs is busy working on his outline as we talk with potential backers. The first doc film is really starting to move out into the marketplace. Curran is attending different wrestling events with Mike Chapman, where the doc is being well received. It should be. Here is the history all pulled together into one place. If you have not watched yet do yourself a favor and go to Amazon and watch it. We plan to have a good planning session this week.
This is a nice snapshot of things going on in the film world. I think CDI will make an appearance at our local Capital City Film Festival mixer. They do such a nice job putting that event on. I love the energy of all the young filmmakers and artists. I have a handful of meetings this week as we continue our pre-production work.
Today is the birthday of someone very special to me so we’ll be celebrating today. At least today is warmer, sunny and not raining so we won’t be contained to the indoors. It was nice to wake up to the birds singing and sunshine. I hope you all have a great day and get ready for a good week ahead.
Until next week! Be good to one another.