Third of Five CDI Releases Rolls Out – NEW Festival & Film Updates!
Good morning readers! Welcome to our new readers from Bangladesh, Bosnia and more. I love seeing the worldwide circle of readers. I’ve had another extremely busy week and I’ll try to update you on some of those endeavors. While much of the country has been baking under extreme heat, Michigan has been darn near perfect. Low humid, warm and slight breeze. So Monday morning my brother had texted that a friend of ours had passed away in a freak accident. Saturday when we had storms this friend was celebrating his birthday bar hopping. At one place they had a storage container turned into a patio bar. That wind hit sending umbrellas flying and while one friend braved the rain and tried to secure an umbrella, the others watched likely amused. But the wind caught one of the big steel doors and crushed our friend between the door and bar. He never woke back up I’m told. This story was on the news even made national – but just so sad. He had been a beloved teacher and just a bright light of a person. It really cast a light on appreciating your circle.
To my knowledge I’ve not ever had Covid but we had some family catch it and thankfully everyone seems to be on the mend. It is always scary because we have a few family and friends who were not so lucky. So this all played in the background last week. We had a fun soccer match this week and a few CDI meetings were done over the throwing of bean bags playing corn hole. I got to visit this week with a few friends I haven’t seen in a while, grilling and chilling. Venison steaks, pork chops and baked potatoes were on the menu. I’m making myself hungry just thinking about it. We got our 4H pig and so the freezer is restocked. I’ve told many folks before that the secret to venison is to marinate and/or rub herbs in advance of grilling.
How about we move on to some movie updates. Let’s see –
- SMOKE & MIRRORS – Yesterday afternoon at the Motor City Nightmare convention in Novi, Michigan, our film played to fans of the genre. I was unable to attend and have yet to receive word on how it was received. It is a cool, slick short film that gives a great look at what the feature film would be like. Thank you so much to the convention festival for inviting us to play and I hope your audience enjoyed it. We are waiting to see if it is accepted into the Hell 1/2 Mile festival which I would plan to attend.
- Staying on the subject of festivals – BEST YEARS GONE that is now released will be playing in Ohio at The 27th Indie Gathering International Film Festival. I think our director Shane Hagedorn will be attending and I might try to, we’ll see.
- FOR THE LOVE OF CATCH still hopes to have a festival premiere in Toronto but either way we’re looking at an Oct 1st premiere in Owosso, MI where our director Curran Jacobs is from. On 10/4 the DVD and streaming options will be in full effect. This is one that I’ll be happy to have on my shelf. Our distributor DESKPOP ENTERTAINMENT, has been working on a new poster art design. This will be our 4th release this year and it’s very rewarded to have this films finish and come to market.
- The last release of the year will be the theatrical premiere of SILENT NIGHT IN ALGONA in Algona, Iowa. We hope to kick off multiple theater chain runs from there for several weeks. We will likely do a theatrical premiere again in Owosso, MI – the home of director Anthony Hornus. Owosso sure has some talented people in that area, maybe it’s in the water. We released the theatrical poster last week and many have responded positively to it and even asking for posters to purchase. We will get to that but right now it is that the last tweaks in editing before onto music and sound design. That will also include cutting a theatrical trailer for the film which will also start next week.
- BESTSELLER, our tense thriller will be getting a few new reviews as we continue to move this film out to world audiences. Have you seen it? If you scare easy you might not want to watch it alone.
- Another great Summer watch is BIGFOOT, UFOS and JESUS also known as LOST HEART. I had a friend say that they started watching the film opening again and got sucked in – it is a great blend of humor and heart. Another to watch as part of your own family watch night.
- WILD FAITH: HASTINGS, the TV series spin off, has had more pieces fall into place. It’s been hard work but I know it will all be worth it in the end. Have you watched the pilot feature film? Millions have so pop some popcorn and watch with your family.
- HARSENS ISLAND REVENGE, the next collaboration with Curwood Publishing is moving forward. The writer of the book was very happy with my adaptation from book to script. The plan is to film in the back half of 2023. Always development…I’m very excited about this film.
- Sticking with the writing – I’m on the cusp of finalizing my next screenwriting project. It’s an exciting true history story that will be an awesome undertaking. It might be our biggest project yet and will likely film in 2024 once I have the script and development done. I will wait to announce anything until the ink is dry but we are getting closer.
- HOT ROD LOVE – Just to illustrate that we might make developing and finance look easy, it is not. Funding is the hardest part for many filmmakers. Our 70’s drag racing comedy has a handful of weeks to try to put the final financial pieces in order or it will have to be a push. My fear is that 2023 is already shaping up to be a busy year. But like all stories, if the time is now, it will happen. If not we will have just completed one of the busiest release seasons we’ve ever had. But we’ve got many pieced in play so we will just have to see.
We started this week’s blog talking about a tragedy. The greater tragedy in life can be not going after your dreams. You won’t always succeed, but you will grow from trying. Not trying at all can leave you with a hole in your soul. So if you really want to try and do something don’t let fear hold you back.
I’m about to go cook a few eggs to go with a left over pork chop. A few tasks around the yard and tonight I’m looking forward to spending time with my brother and a few amigos. I have a few biz calls and might get a jump on some start of the week’s business. I love to use my Sundays and this blog to recap and help put together my TO DO for the forthcoming week. I hope to hear a few responses from folks who attended the Motor City Nightmares and watched SMOKE & MIRRORS.
We also might get some word this week on a few festivals we thought would be a nice fit on a couple of films. I hope you all have a great end to your weekend and an amazing start to your week. Thank you again to all of you for stopping through and sharing a few moments of your day. If you haven’t watched all the CDI films please do. We make them for audiences to enjoy. Until next week be good to one another and keep climbing!
Welcome 2016 – Let’s Dance
Happy 2016! It is a new year and once again here we are back to CLAWING OUR WAY TO THE MIDDLE. There are about 4,700 of you that gather to listen to this one artist ramble as I make my way through this world. Many of you found your way to our place via Facebook and Linkedin – but what I LOVE the most is that you all come from 80 countries. USA has the most readers but Australia and Brazil are not far behind. That said, I have not been to either of those countries but I must plan to.
Many of you were very interested in “Ashes of Eden,” “Bestseller,” and “40 Nights” all of which will release in 2016. As will “Donors” and this has to be the year of “Dead Quiet” I’m sure. “The Terrorist” is coming. I would just like to once again say how much I appreciate the interest all of you have taken in what we’re creating. I think “Bestseller” and “40 Nights” showcase two very different sides of my acting. The funny thing is that they might release in the same month. I’ve seen the national artwork for “Bestseller” which is very moody and cool. We’ll be releasing a 1st look at that soon. I’ve gotten a peak at “40 Nights” Walmart exclusive artwork and soon so will all of you.
Here is the “Ashes of Eden” artwork to be looking out for. I LOVED playing the role of Donnie in this film. I also enjoyed our use of classic cars. MICHIGAN is well REPRESENTED!
I’m excited to make another film with Shane Hagedorn so I’m sure that will be discussed more in 2016.
We’ve been on a crazy push to finish “40 Nights” because of a major order by a retailer. We’ve had all stations pushing full ahead and we still have a bit to go. I would complain but we’ve got distribution, guarantees and eager retailers so…I’m not complaining – I’m adapting. I know at every level of the game from here up will have some of this pressure. It is the business at work and that is what will allow you to keep creating.
While the post pace has been a bit of a frenzy on “40 Nights” I’m proud of our team. I’ve been proud of all my teams. It is a special thing to all share credit on creating a motion picture. You all are bonded by that film forever. And when a film becomes special to an audience they too share in that special thing. I had a Bday party to attend today and it was at Star Wars! Again:) I’m enjoying that special thing I felt in my early childhood. There is now 4 films in MY mythology of Star Wars. Yes. I chose to NOT ACCEPT the other 3 films. That would take a lot more time to explain.
2016 is now here. I’m excited to be finishing up a few projects so I can focus upon the new crop of films. Our second film in our QUEST TRILOGY, entitled “Chasing the Star” (quest of the magi) is moving forward. It’s been slowed by the holidays but we’ll see if we can catch up. It’s a busy time of year for many but these things we’re doing, our on timelines, are set by weather conditions.
I did finish the first draft of our third film in the QUEST TRILOGY …… and we’ll be announcing that title with some teaser art in the weeks ahead. I’m close on the 1st draft of the new KNIGHT CHILLS 2. I’m also wanting to return my focus to a drama MAN’S BEST FRIEND. I do love writing and have a good amount of hazelnut coffee to power on.
I had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I kept it chill since fighting a small sinus cold. I used the time to keep communications flowing on finishing “40 Nights” and discussions with our distributor. We also did a 3 way trade on bedroom sets. My brother and wife got a new set so our guest room got a beautiful set that’s been in the family for a long time. Our guest bedroom set went to yet another family member – so it was a touch crazy for a few days. But the guest room has never looked better.
My alumni school Michigan State University who won the BIG TEN in football, played in the playoffs to go for the National title. We took an ass kicking. I’ve thought our QB has been hurt and subpar for weeks. I would have ran with our two back up QB’s that came through in spades when we needed them against Ohio State. But Alabama was at the top of their game and it showed. Congrats! Next year.
Get your goals straight and attack 2016. If you got knocked down in 2015, stand up, brush yourself off, fighting stance!