APRIL AHEAD – 7 NEW Updates
Hazelnut coffee cheers on this sunny morning in Michigan. Welcome our new readers from Ireland, France and North Macedonia. I will have to look that last one up on a map. We had rain all day yesterday but compared to the storms and tornados others faced we were lucky. I usually like snow vs rain but the rain is nurturing the emerging buds springing up from the ground. I’m humbled this morning as I drink my coffee. A few days ago while eating some bread with seeds, I got a few trapped in a tooth pocket. I’m so good about my dental care and avoid such seeds but I got careless. I got the seeds out so I thought but one must have remained. The result was a multiple day toothaches that reached up into my ear. I’m a relatively tough individual but funny how we can be humbled by something so small. I felt like the lion with a thorn in his paw. It is almost back to normal after lots of salt swishes and pain meds. I usually try to avoid pain meds and tough it out but as I said, I was humbled. So to awaken to birds, sunshine and the tooth feeling close to normal is a true blessing.
I’ve been made aware of many people dealing with tough situations that makes the toothache seem minor. I’m renewing my focus and diligence to stay away from seeds and such. The pain is bad enough to make one want to stay on a diet of applesauce. My thoughts go out to the many people I know having their own issues. But everyone is facing something and if you are not, enjoy that time, embrace those moments. My alumni school MSU finished their basketball season. That last game of theirs was such a nail bitter I’m not sure I’m cut out for watching sports. You have no control over the outcome. Soon soccer season will be starting and that is more to my liking, and I have some control over the outcome.
As we close out this month let’s look at the updates from last week-
- SILENT NIGHT IN ALGONA has had continuous theatrical play since Dec. 9th but they are slowing down. Unless a third party engages it could come to an end. We might play a few festivals and events like the Red Letter Awards in TN. Talks with our home video distributor have gone great and everyone is excited about it. Our home video distributor is Bridgestone Multimedia Group. They’ve done a very good job with our previous releases. The plan is to release on home video this fall on the run up to the holiday season. Once I get some paperwork returned we’ll do some PR on the deal. I’m excited to have this story be seen by millions. Thank you to everyone who has reached out with such beautiful words.
- HARSENS ISLAND REVENGE – We’ve been full speed ahead on our next #tribeCDI film. Our cast and crew are filling up fast and we’re 85% there. Last week we announced more cast attached such as Taylor Nichols, Garry Nation and Christine Marie. We’ll be doing a Michigan casting call here soon for some of the remaining roles. Various departments are hard at work and next week a new polished version of the script will be sent around. The opening of the film is very powerful as it starts during WW1 before jumping ahead a few years. We needed a powerhouse German actor to open the film and thankfully SNIA gave us a good selection of excellent talent. Mr. Bejo Dohmen landed that role. Anyone who saw SNIA will immediately understand our choice.
- SPIRIT LAKE MASSACRE is in development and I’ve been doing some breakdowns on that film to present. Like all projects it could move fast or slow. SNIA took almost 15 years to come to the big screen. This project is much larger in scope and so we’ll see how fast or slow it develops. A project seems to happen when it is the story’s time. We will see said the wise man. But it would have us back in Iowa. We have built a family there much like anyplace CDI goes to film a story.
- SHJ– The supernatural thriller is looking to be targeting a Spring start versus Winter since the script needs an update. I watched NOPE, this weekend and I saw some aspects/scope of the film to be akin to what we are looking to do. Prep. Prep. Prep.
- KNIGHT CHILLS Blu Ray- CDI’s maiden film was a low budget film about role players playing a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I’m excited to see the 4k version of this film. We are starting to collect interviews for the upcoming release. It is fun to be preserving these films and putting them back out there. Several CDI films will be getting that treatment. It is just time consuming because of everything else going on.
- My first film I led, IN THE WOODS is also getting this treatment. The film stock was retransferred and a new version is being put together. Director Lynn Drzick is talking about adding a few scenes back in. There is talk of a new anniversary release into the theaters and more. We already had “The Making of ‘In the Woods'” original script released in book form with lots of extras. Look it up on Amazon. Even more exciting to me is the line of collectors toys being put together. Devil Dog, The Tall Creature and even Alex Kerwood, monster hunter. That’s right. I’m going to finally get that action figure. I will be making plans to go get 3D scanned in the near future. I’ve also been working on outlining a sequel script. It will be a while before that comes together but plans are in motion.
- FOR THE LOVE OF CATCH 2– Director Curran Jacobs is busy working on his outline as we talk with potential backers. The first doc film is really starting to move out into the marketplace. Curran is attending different wrestling events with Mike Chapman, where the doc is being well received. It should be. Here is the history all pulled together into one place. If you have not watched yet do yourself a favor and go to Amazon and watch it. We plan to have a good planning session this week.
This is a nice snapshot of things going on in the film world. I think CDI will make an appearance at our local Capital City Film Festival mixer. They do such a nice job putting that event on. I love the energy of all the young filmmakers and artists. I have a handful of meetings this week as we continue our pre-production work.
Today is the birthday of someone very special to me so we’ll be celebrating today. At least today is warmer, sunny and not raining so we won’t be contained to the indoors. It was nice to wake up to the birds singing and sunshine. I hope you all have a great day and get ready for a good week ahead.
Until next week! Be good to one another.
NEW ‘Harsens’ CAST Announced Plus March Film Updates
After a few mild days where Spring was pushing with little sprouts of green and birds returning. I’m sipping the hazelnut coffee and I want to welcome all our readers including our new readers from France, Ireland, UK, Russia and Saudi Arabia. WELCOME! Also thank you for the wonderful comments. It is the season to watch THE QUEST TRILOGY and I’m humbled by the comment that I was someone’s favorite performance of Jesus. That is a compliment as many great performances of the man has been done. If you have not watched them all together, you should. They trilogy is shown below in order and also a few other good watches for a cold snowy day (In Michigan) like today.
Author Nancy Gideon, ordered up the MAKING OF ‘In the Woods’ that we talked about last week. A great recalling of the massive effort that went into making a movie on film with limited experience and funds. This was my first starring role and Co-producing effort almost 25 years ago. The film is getting a new campaign and the book was just a start. A new transfer is underway going all the way back to the original film stock. So a blu-ray and new streaming in HD release could be coming later in the year. Add in some badass merchandise and you got a fun new push. So you wanna see baby DJ fighting monsters, this might be your movie. Buy the book and enter the crazy world of IN THE WOODS. Will the world see Alex Kerwood, monster hunter again? Never say never:)
This film has continued its trek across the midwest theatre to theatre traveling to where the people have called their theatre and requested it. Thank you so much to all those who actually reached out and brought the film to their town. We are booked into April and we’re exploring either expanding with a 3rd party theatrical distributor based off our current efforts. We also might look at a big final event showing just before the home video kick off this Fall. We have a few possible paths to consider. We are already getting theatrical booking requests for December 2023. Crazy. But not really. I think this film will become a Christmas classic. It is a truly unique story based on actual events which is different from most Christmas fluff.
This weekend the film opened in a few new cities. We had a beautiful note last weekend sent to our director, it noted that at one of these showings that audience gave a standing ovation. That’s at a normal showing not a premiere or event. It was very touching and we love that people are connecting with the story. We were nominated for several awards at our first festival/award submission.
We are still looking to showcase overseas and our distribution will license to foreign territories as we get further down the road. Congrats to all the nominated artists and films. This theatrical is just the tip of the spear and wait until we get to the home video making the film available to millions of viewers.
HARSENS ISLAND REVENGE
This film is next up for #tribeCDI and things are really falling into place. Thank you to those who sent their reels DM on the CDI Facebook page. Also thank you to those who got right on their reads. We are closing down roles quickly now This week we welcomed Michael Walton, Martez Moore, Adam Towner and today we’ll be announcing David Gries. We also have been crewing up and this week we welcomed several folks onto the next project. We are moving from department to department and having deep discussions about each. We only have so many crew slots and so I know some will not be able to travel with us. Some folks have other scheduled endeavors and so they will not be joining. We are very excited about this new story. Many departments are getting up and running and we’ll be doing another scouting trip the end of next month.
I actually chopped down the Winter beard and I’ll be looking to get my hair trimmed closer to the period. Plus I have soccer season and getting my hair out of my eyes might be helpful. Our director will start doing reads with some online and we’ll likely do a read through in Michigan, which will be fun. The cars, the clothes and the overall vibe of the era is quite amazing. Also the impact of the war on the soldiers is something to note. Look below at this picture of the soldier before and after the war.
The effects of war on these vets is striking and shows you the damage. Those that did survive WW1 wanted to live peacefully. These were not the men the Purple’s wanted to push. We’ll be reviewing more incoming reels and locking in more roles this week. Thank you to all of you have have put yourself forth for consideration.
SPIRIT LAKE MASSACRE, will be undergoing budgeting work. The response to the script has been strong. We will see how fast it all comes together. This endeavor is larger and requires more production elements with horses and possible builds.
SHJ – This developing project is looking to be moving in a positive direction. Once we get the intent to fund we’ll put the in-association deal in play. CDI will be producing and we have many exciting things lining up for this supernatural thriller.
FOR THE LOVE OF CATCH 2 – The operational agreement will be in place end of this week. Talks have already started to put the funds in place for this follow up doc film. We hope to have this funded and cameras rolling this Summer.
KNIGHT CHILLS– I’ll be reaching out to co-writers Jeff & Juanita Kennedy about doing an updated interview maybe from the Kennedy ‘Dungeon’ showcased in the film. I also sent out emails and texts to our cast about recording a video interview. It will be cool to have them recall a few memories and let people know what they are doing now. The extras have to be turned in by June. I’m told the new transfer and up Rez is looking great. I want to do a Making of book like what Lynn Drzick did with IN THE WOODS. Maybe a script and a bunch of extras. Thoughts?
WRITING– I’m working on two stories for an upcoming book. I want to finish up a few of the scripts I have in progress. One a comedy ands one a SciFi film. Currently I’m doing a clean up on the Harsens script.
(Dennis Therrian aka Tricky T, will be again doing music and sound design on Harsens Island Revenge)
I’m happy to report the chickens are back to full production on eggs. That might be what is next on my list. Today I think I’ll get at some desk work today to get a jump on the week. Next week is St. Patricks Day and so who knows, green beer could be in order. I’m also starting to reach out to sponsors on the new projects. We have some cool, fun tie in’s that will work really well for our next 1920’s story. If you have a service, product or just want to align yourself with these films and reach millions, reach out.
I hope you all have had a relaxing and recharging weekend. Here is a big coffee cheers to us all having a good week ahead. Make your TO DO lists for the week and get after it. Everything is built brick by brick. I’m sure I missed a few updates but I hit upon many of the major ones. Be good to one another. Have a wonderful Sunday.