So I’m balancing my laptop as I sip my coffee and try to type. Lulu our cat has taken an interest in our new little furry boy Finn. Daphne our other dog is taking her time to warm up. It took her 3-4 days with Luke before he was totally accepted and it was a lifelong love affair from there. Little Finn has all the same courageous and brave attributes. He was his puppy pack leader. He’s slept great for two nights now and has had zero accidents. He had the outside potty down from his two visits. Play, sleep, explore and eat. Repeat as needed. It was an emotional tear to put this bundle of joy over the pain of losing Luke too soon. I joked that Luke’s ‘force ghost’ is coming to Finn and teaching him all the fun stuff as we sleep. He is his own little man but he will definitely be the new cuddle king and will grow into the protector. Even last night on the back porch Daphne was barking at the top of the stairs at whatever critter was wandering the yard to collect food. Finn ran up beside her to give his support. They shared a sniff as if to say, “I got this” and Finn bounced down the stairs first. No lack of bravery. After a hard month of loss in October the month of November is shaping up to be a thankful one.
This past couple weeks has been extremely busy with the movie business. I remember being in the midst of the storm, working five projects with different artists. Finishing sound design, listening to musical score, VO and title credits approvals, new trailer, new posters, finalizing deals, development but before frustration could ever sit in, I felt blessed.
I get to work with all these fellow artists creating beautiful stories. I get to watch such talented actor friends become these roles. I know the hard work that our crews gave each day so that we could assemble the pieces. I was moved by the music that just injected the scenes with hair-raising emotion. What are these developments? A few early spoilers before the PR releases.
- The Wild Faith phase one deal is done. An actual purchase of the property will take place before a TV series moves forward. But that has to wait because as the kick off film in a new partnership/division WILD FAITH will be going into theaters in March 2019. This will be a wider release vs our limited showcase that did very well. We’ve added a new narrator that will start and end our story. He will be well-known to almost everyone and our own Melissa Anschutz got to be in-studio with him in Nashville. There is your hint:) We started delivering elements to the distributor and we’ll deliver the film later next week. The theatrical screens could be tens, hundreds or even a thousand plus as that is what is in their network. They LOVE the film and we know that this film is very timely so I hope many get to see it on the big screen. But any number of screens over our 10 or so we did on our own will be viewed as a success.
- THE CHRIST SLAYER is looking and sounding so powerful. It had a great response at mipcom and AFM markets. The new poster art is beautiful. We’ll be announcing that with our release dates that will include 2/4/19 broadcast/digital, 3/4/19 DVD and national “special event” Easter theatrical showings in April. This is all being done through BMG with their theatrical partnership. I’m so EXCITED to see this film on the big screen. Model building, digital matte paintings and more make this one of the largest scale movies we’ve produced.
- We have a batch of new teasers inviting families to watch FORTY NIGHTS and already CHASING THE STAR is being add to many Christmas line ups. I encourage you to take a watch or purchase for your collection. If you enjoyed the experience leave your thoughts on IMDB.com or Amazon. Both are on Amazon Prime along with many other great platforms and networks.
- MBF also made an early appearance at the film markets. We’ve had major interest including in the theatrical. A rough trailer made an appearance at AFM and we’ve polished it up and will announce Tuesday when and where audiences can see it. Also the first official poster will be released. Here is the bottom half of it above. MBF was one of my, if not my most vulnerable roles emotionally. After seeing the trailer and about 30 minutes of the rough cut I think I’ve succeeded in honoring the most important people, our vets. Dog lovers will also enjoy this story because it rings of truth. So much that ANIMAL PLANET is making it one of their featured shows on “Amanda to the Rescue” on Sunday nights. I’m told it’s one of the later shows.
- Development. LOST HEART. Often when I write I sometimes have someone in mind. I know literally thousands of actors and that gives good imaginative fuel to me as a writer. That doesn’t mean that the casting always falls that way, sometimes my imagination gives the better read. But often it works out and that leaves only a few castings to find. We’ve started to get in a few requested reads. The response to the script has been very good. I had good talks about it with our distributor. I’m excited about the upcoming slate of movies that CDI will produce. The theatrical aspect will be incorporated into this new production deal. Yes. PR will be coming out on this as we enter into the new year. 2019 will be exciting.
My last point that can be applied to your own situations. First, vet people, companies and projects. Valuable time can be wasted from your personal or business time on unrealistic or unattainable goals. I’m an optimist for sure but no matter how high I train to jump the peak of Everest will still remain out of my reach. But a path. Many, many steps. Good prep and planning and the goal of reaching the top is possible. Others profit from your time or efforts if you make it or not. These are dangerous people and performance is key. Actions vs words. I see many more projects getting launched and finished. At my various meetings I still hear the horror stories and they often include the same names over and over. So do yourself a favor and be careful where you put your trust and energy. This weekend while concluding some business with an executive I received this added note which I have to say made my day.
“BTW – thank you for the business partnership and friendship. It’s relationships like ours that I can point to as the reason why I love what I do.”
Generations of Collective Development Inc. directors
People have often looked for an agenda in me because of my kindness. It’s real. I can be tough when required and the trick is not to be tough on a new contact because of scars from old business wounds. I am proud of what I’ve done with others in this lifetime. I hope I have many more stories to tell before someone adds a RIP next to my name. The truth is we don’t really know. So how I get to my goals is more important to me versus just getting them at all cost. My goals will not be obtained by stepping on people or screwing people over. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not perfect. I’ve made unpopular decisions. I’ve miscommunicated before. I’ve unintentionally hurt feelings. But my actions on this path tell people I’m sincere. This is my path. Like me. Dislike me. Nobody can question my dedication to the hard path.
Furthermore, If several projects that your associated with keep having issues, is it bad luck that you keep stepping into? Or are you part of the issue as a common denominator? Passing blame is weak and poor leadership. Accountability is power, take it. We’ve had various small bumps while working on all these projects associated with several films. Any bad communication is always my bad. I spend a good amount of effort trying to keep the communication lines strong and proper. Some days it can be difficult managing but once a good flow is established things really do flourish.
Enjoy the harvest of November. Be grateful for what came to be. Reflect and take accountability for what did not. How can you make a positive change and increase the harvest next year? Do the kind of business you wish to receive.
Have a great week ahead. Watch for those PR releases.
Good morning to all of you EST readers and for all others hello! I’m excited that this blog has really got to be international reflecting the great brotherhood and sisterhood of artists world-wide. Many years ago I stared this blog on a DJ Perry fan page created by well, a fan Pepper and it has grown into this blog over the years. It is a place where you can tune in and read about my journey and maybe gather some unique insight into your own situations. I’ve been a bit tough over the last few weeks because if you really want my comments on issues unfolding around me I’m going to state the facts. I’ve never been a real sugar-coated type person. I’ve had issues with people in power who think they demand respect vs earn it. I’m many things outside this business of ours and so a title means little if I don’t respect you. I look to actions vs words and truly look at the person and their potential. I would rather have someone with less experience and the right skill set to nurture and develop. Know that your actions are always being evaluated and in our business evaluation and accountability are king.
We’ve made some great structure changes to the upcoming BESTSELLER film. It has been a time of evaluation and accessing and I have to say that I’ve not seen such potential squandered in some time. That has almost all been corrected. As legal and accounting clean up the past um… camera tests? Acting rehearsals? We’re preparing an entirely new ship to launch – BESTSELLER 2.0. New management, new director, script clean up, new locations, new battle plan and accessing cast and crew. For those who saw the PR last week, I did accept the offer to play a lead in the film. I’ve been enjoying “finding” that character within and I look forward to working with my “7 Stones” co-star again. Stay tuned for a new website that will also be launching with our new campaign. This movie is going to be an exciting ride.
If you want to see what film our team previous managed I invite you to watch the official theatrical premiere of ASHES OF EDEN. It premieres tomorrow Sunday at 8:00 pm EST at
ASHES OF EDEN dialogue edit is now about complete and sound design and music work is about to start. Color correction work underway. They had an event last night and played the trailer sneak peek for a few hundred people to a great reaction. More promotions are going to be heating up as we make our way towards a late fall premiere. We also did a Lansing area radio show that broadcasts to 30 countries and that can be found on the http://www.ashesofedenmovie.com site.
This week has also been filled with other notable news
A drama that may or may not launch in Detroit next week – I’ve been consulting on since about December and we have a production contract sitting out there. The company needed some LOI from us and wanted us to work out the legalese later. STOP RIGHT THERE! You want to know why so many projects become a cluster ##$% is that you need to define and work out legalese ahead of time. Too many people have carts pulling horses. It seems to be a reoccurring issue with some people and it always spells trouble. Good business starts with a good foundation and that means have a solid groundwork of agreements. This venture has had some major issues in communication whereas advise given is just flatly refused. I’m trying to give advice to protect an investment and give the chance for the best film possible to be made. But at the day’s end they want to push forward despite warnings and so what do you do? Script changes, creative suggestions that help budgetary issues – all given and ignored. Now I’m not use to going at something as just a JOB. I run on passion and art with business being woven throughout. Some of what I warned about is coming into play because at the end of the day – hard work in the wrong places and good intentions will not solve pre-production issues. I’ve had to look at the idea of checking my own ego and pride and just making the best possible film with the resources available. So the contracts are out there and the requirements known so if it happens – I will go at this like I do everything – with BEST EFFORTS. If they don’t agree to our most basic requirements – pass. I’ve passed on several projects this year including another acting offer yesterday. It just has to make sense. My issue here is saying NO can mean a financial loss to many people BUT there will always be another. Until the ashes are spread I will always have the need to create and engage in storytelling but I refuse to be ruled by SHELLS & BEADS. Now time will decide – I had to kill all effort and communication – time for talk is done and now only action remains. TO DO or to DO NOT!
There is interest that came from left field on helping to produce and co-star in a TV series for a major network that I watch often. A pitch last week, which by the way was thought to be a bust – resulted in a call that evening sharing their interest. Never overlook the poker face. I hear it from many actors who think they tanked an audition and that is the one they landed. Now this project here is of course under non-disclosure but it is one of the few projects that I have said yes to as a regular. (Should it go) So as soon as I get off this I have a story meeting as now they need their written pitch to move up the line to get green lit. It may or may not work out but it is another growing experience. Also in sharp contrast to the previously discussed project – good communication is what has this project moving.
Word is that a couple of films recently licensed may be dubbed into Spanish for distribution. I’m still working the final pieces of the Germany license deals.
Great Skype meeting over “Darkest Night” and the 2014 follow-up shoot of “The Beast”. They have hired a director and the UPM and so movement is beginning on that front.
“Supermodel Showdown” TV series is moving right along. Some teasers for this will soon be heading to distributors and audiences.
Outside of all this movie stuff – a great soccer tie last week against former league champions. Tomatoes are now ripe in the garden. I did some good work on the office this week. We did some good grilling and chilling a few evenings and today will also have us grilling some pork steaks. I’m off for a story meeting before enjoying the day. I hope each and every one of you have a great weekend and productive week ahead.