Good morning! Usually in the morning I’m treated to sunshine but with the rain/wind storm rolling through and the time change, springing ahead, it is darker. I’m sipping my (enter sponsor coffee here) * yes I’m still looking:) and I’m going to share some of the updates from a very busy week. But before that let’s see if I can pull any lessons from the past week to share with you all.
(Talented artists – surround your pictures with them)
I will comment on something that I’ve commented on before – casting. I’m reviewing close to our final cut of MBF: Man’s Best Friend and I’m just so damn proud of all the actors. It takes good words, scenes, story and interweaving to allow such performance. I do want to work in other people’s worlds and stories. But it is always a task because a good strong blueprint/script is required. I’ve noted before of hearing filmmakers brag about ‘no script’ or ‘winging it’ and it always SHOWS. I recently read a script that I was considering involvement with and I asked about the campy humor. I was embarrassed slightly when the response was that it wasn’t humorous it was 100% straight and meant to be intense and gritty. Um…okay. It was a pass on my part. I’ve been there. Done that. Got the tee-shirt. Spend 99 cents and watch it on Amazon Prime with my 1st starring role in a feature film. IN THE WOODS is a fun film and cult junkies love it even playing drinking games to it. But it was meant to be like ALIEN and the monsters when shown in the light, we thought a novel idea, come off…watch it:)
(Note my costar Jim G who can also be seen in upcoming ‘MBF’ )
IN THE WOODS link
Back to casting. I’m reviewing MBF and so proud of the performances by so many of my peers are excellent. And to the crew who worked so hard and harmoniously, you will be proud to be associated with this Collective Development Inc. film. I’ve been enjoying watching new reels. We consider all our past performers who brought great performances and were not any sort of issue. You cannot tolerate nonsense when doing something as hard as making a feature and trying to keep quality at a certain level. But every film only allows us a few players.
(Greg Mason on set MBF with Duncan from Animal Planet)
To finish the MBF update, this week dialog work will begin once the picture is officially locked.
THE CHRIST SLAYER – The DVD is becoming available at more places. Amazon had some glitch for a few days. It seems like that happens quite often. I saw that we were moving units nicely. I still like the DVD/Blu-Ray format. Digital can disappear, it happens. The April 19th Easter event screenings in theaters will be exciting.
Speaking on that as we start the run up to myCinema‘s WILD FAITH theatrical. I’ve fielded hundreds of requests for what states? What theaters? I hope to have answers soon. This is my first run with these films and this theatrical outfit. I see others who like to overstate news but with so many set backs over the decades I almost always take the modest path. If we show in more than 2 states and 8-10 screens I will see it as progress. Now the myCinema is in 1000+ screens but I don’t want to get myself too excited or disappointed. It is a beautiful story as many of our story’s are and we just want to entertain. So I hope we do capture a large audience with these releases. I do hope to have info for everyone this coming week.
Also some of you were treated to a DOVE family review and some new artwork. You can read about it here.
PR RELEASE WITH DOVE REVIEW:
If you have enjoyed any of these films please do leave a review on amazon, imdb or any social media sites that would apply. I know a few reviews that are in the works as we speak.
(Mr. Robert Bradley on set ‘MBF’ with our Brown Boy)
We’ve been moving right along on bringing on investors, scouting locations, finalizing the shoot script and such. We’ve been announcing some of the players and this week we’ll announce a few more. Mr. Robert Bradley and Mr. Anthony Hornus will be playing roles and assisting with production.
This week we’ll be sending the new script around to some of the team. We’re also talking to many sponsors to participate in our Northern Michigan telling. If your company service or goods wants to consider sponsorship with us please reach out to email@example.com and I’ll discuss with you. We’ve had many companies participate and love adding to that family.
Misc Final Biz
I had a few great meetings with filmmakers this past week. We discussed some collaborations on a few films. If you are bringing something from the outside in most likely you will also have to bring the money. Our CDI funds are being directed at in-house projects that have distribution blessings. The idea of not spending the time, energy and money shopping is really nice. I’ve had other interested studios discussing possible production/distribution of non-family/faith material. As I noted to a friend recently the secret is ‘One step in front of the other. Balance. Focus. Persistence eventually wears down failure.’ Choose your associates and collaborators carefully or you’ll always be off-balance and having your focus pulled away from you. And the final product will reflect all those issues.
Have a great Sunday!
Good morning from chilly Michigan. We have new readers from Canada and the Netherlands, welcome. This morning I spent an hour organizing and cleaning through emails and I still did not get through it all. I’ve enjoyed my little dude Finn this morning. He has brought major joy back into our household in 2019 and for that I’m thankful.
Let’s go with a bullet point update
- MBF: Man’s Best Friend – In two days 415k views of our promo piece with Animal Planet – of course a puking squirrel can get millions of views so…but we’re just happy so many of you are being exposed to this amazing film coming in 2019 from Collective Development Inc. and Bridgestone Multimedia Group. WATCH IT HERE: https://www.facebook.com/AnimalPlanet/videos/366247313928139/UzpfSTE5MTM1MDI2MzU1ODk3NDE6MjIyMTExMTY4ODE2MjE2Ng/ and we just might have a special surprise for you in the months ahead. What else happened with Duncan on his trip to Corunna/Owosso, Michigan to film? It would make a good show;) Editing on the 1st cut is almost done.
- Wild Faith – last month of western film was delivered with our celebrity narrator (preparing for a TV series) and a remastered picture. Keep an eye out for the various time versions of theatrical teasers for social media. Why? Wild faith will be riding back into theaters across the country in March. I think millions could benefit from this powerful film. I had a close friend of many decades tell me that Wild faith was their favorite film of ours to date. I have seen first hand the effects of this film on people’s hearts and minds. So I’ll hope that the number of screens is on the numerous end of the spectrum. I’ll have lists of when’s and where’s in the coming weeks. Be sure to follow our social media FB site for Wild faith and all our films. JOIN US HERE: https://www.facebook.com/WildFaithMovie/
- So you’d think that the above news would be enough to make one feel beyond humble and grateful but the good news continues. The Christ Slayer is complete and is being rendered all together for delivery. It was the biggest scope film in The Quest Trilogy consisting of Forty Nights, Chasing the Star and now The Christ Slayer. It feels great to have finished the film itself but finishing the three films is the realization of a longtime goal. They can be enjoyed as stand alone films but have a greater storyline embedded into the three films. I think Chasing the Star has a clearer conclusion if you’ve seen Forty Nights. And you could enjoy The Christ Slayer stand alone, but it will feel much more full if the other two films have been seen. There are some reoccurring characters in the stories that become richer if you’ve watched all three. So they’ve already cut theatrical social media promos and the movie will be on the big screen in April. FOLLOW US HERE “The Quest Trilogy” – https://www.facebook.com/The-QUEST-Trilogy-933210800141426/
- We’ll be forming the LLC for our next endeavor LOST HEART. We’ve got our first investor/EP excited to move forward so I have to play catch up. Our LOI to distribute from our distributor is now in place. This includes a full first look theatrical evaluation due to the partnership. We’ve got some returning stars from past CDI films and a few new faces too. We’ll finalize casting once everything is in place. I’m really excited about this next project and it will be fun, powerful and thought-provoking. Our PR on this will start rolling on this in a few short weeks.
- From the CDI vaults, a much-anticipated sequel has been getting some real attention. We’ve had a few exploratory development talks with a few parties but this is starting to gel. It would give a new director an opportunity to do his first feature that already has an awaiting audience. A director, a pair of new fresh-faced co-stars, a few nostalgic faces and the game could be afoot.
Josh “The Ponceman” Perry and DJ Perry – The Christ Slayer this Easter!
Additionally I’m happy to report receiving the first paycheck of 2019. Freelance or the art of creating a paycheck each and every year is not for everyone. As one year ends we all wonder if another year of income will materialize. So that first one is always nice. I’m happy to report this one is from a new client, a major book publisher. This book runner, which I assume is much like a show runner, went to see Wild Faith. From there she watched a few other films I had written and reached out. I was asked to be a contributor in a book of horse stories. Having done a good number of westerns, I have a few good stories. From those two stories I contributed I was asked about contributing to two other books. I’m enjoying all the writing. I’ve been having some discussions on literary representation. I’ve done past deals just off personal relationships and attorneys but having someone actively seek/bid work-for-hire or sell off scripts I have, but don’t plan to produce, would be perfect.
I saw a cool little saying burnt into a wood plank the other day- something like,
“If the winds won’t agree with you, pick up the oars”
2019 my friends. I hope the winds will be at your back taking you closer to your dreams and goals. But if the air is still and stagnant and your boat sits idle, pick up them oars and get rowing. Life is short so don’t be afraid to fail. But do give your BEST EFFORT, always.
Talk at you next week.
I’ve landed back in Michigan after several weeks in Yuma, AZ filming the second movie in our QUEST TRILOGY entitled “Chasing the Star” – a whirlwind. We went a little early to avoid the intense heat of “40 Nights” shoot. That was a success. We had a wonderful crew who stepped up at every position to make movie magic happen. We have our final few days in Michigan after Easter but they are interior sets and we don’t have to fight the desert. No camels, donkeys, wind storms to deal with. But I want to give a heart felt thanks to all our Yuma crew. We will see you next year for the third film in the series.
The 1st in the series “40 Nights”
This film just played Yuma, AZ at Champion Church to a 500 people giving a standing ovation. It was very humbling and made me proud of those involved. The story is thought provoking and seemed to do just that. It’s making its way into new theaters and church’s on the lead up to our April 5th DVD release.
Yuma, AZ PRESS
PRE-ORDER DVD here
Also releasing the SAME DAY to DVD (April 5th) is “Ashes of Eden” –
Ashes of Eden is an edgy inspirational crime drama, it will have an exclusive premiere on Parables TV (www.parables.tv) April 1, 2016 and will release on DVD April 5, 2016. I love the role I play in this film and fans of the CDI movies will recognize many faces from our tribe.
Please visit these retailers and pre order your copy here.
Following these movies will be a pair of thrillers “Donors” and “Bestseller” that start manufacturing next week. We’ll be promoting those sales sites in the weeks ahead.
IF you want to help these films find their way to you – especially on the big screen.
- Call theaters in your area and request the film. For Yuma, AZ that is Harkins and Regency (formerly Mainstreet) both of whom we are speaking to.
- In Michigan the next markets will be Detroit area (via Emagine or Harkins) and the Alamo for Kalamazoo area.
- If you’ve seen the film put a review on a retail site like amazon or data base like IMDB.com (People will make our their own minds but it helps with placement)
- Talk to your church or organization – we have a sign up page on http://www.40nightsthemovie.com to contact us. Our 1st showing at Champion Church went great – ask them. “Ashes of Eden” would be great for older youth groups.
- Buy the DVD – support positive storytelling.
- Talk about it. Best thing you can do and if we did our job you will be talking about it.
Thank you. I had to get my business out of the way. This is a big week ahead here and lots of distributor meetings are happening. I’m unpacking, readjusting and refocusing so I can prepare to finish our “Chasing the Star” shoot. I will hit the ground running talking Michigan crew in the morning with our director. So give Bret a deserved break as well:)
I’m excited to be on the path we are on. We’ve got other films getting ready to launch. Stay tuned for LOTS of upcoming “Chasing the Star” news and first official looks.
Enjoy the balance of your weekend! I slept 12 hours last night which I needed. Tomorrow it is back into battle but today rest with family and friends:)