Good morning from chilly Michigan. We have new readers from Canada and the Netherlands, welcome. This morning I spent an hour organizing and cleaning through emails and I still did not get through it all. I’ve enjoyed my little dude Finn this morning. He has brought major joy back into our household in 2019 and for that I’m thankful.
Let’s go with a bullet point update
- MBF: Man’s Best Friend – In two days 415k views of our promo piece with Animal Planet – of course a puking squirrel can get millions of views so…but we’re just happy so many of you are being exposed to this amazing film coming in 2019 from Collective Development Inc. and Bridgestone Multimedia Group. WATCH IT HERE: https://www.facebook.com/AnimalPlanet/videos/366247313928139/UzpfSTE5MTM1MDI2MzU1ODk3NDE6MjIyMTExMTY4ODE2MjE2Ng/ and we just might have a special surprise for you in the months ahead. What else happened with Duncan on his trip to Corunna/Owosso, Michigan to film? It would make a good show;) Editing on the 1st cut is almost done.
- Wild Faith – last month of western film was delivered with our celebrity narrator (preparing for a TV series) and a remastered picture. Keep an eye out for the various time versions of theatrical teasers for social media. Why? Wild faith will be riding back into theaters across the country in March. I think millions could benefit from this powerful film. I had a close friend of many decades tell me that Wild faith was their favorite film of ours to date. I have seen first hand the effects of this film on people’s hearts and minds. So I’ll hope that the number of screens is on the numerous end of the spectrum. I’ll have lists of when’s and where’s in the coming weeks. Be sure to follow our social media FB site for Wild faith and all our films. JOIN US HERE: https://www.facebook.com/WildFaithMovie/
- So you’d think that the above news would be enough to make one feel beyond humble and grateful but the good news continues. The Christ Slayer is complete and is being rendered all together for delivery. It was the biggest scope film in The Quest Trilogy consisting of Forty Nights, Chasing the Star and now The Christ Slayer. It feels great to have finished the film itself but finishing the three films is the realization of a longtime goal. They can be enjoyed as stand alone films but have a greater storyline embedded into the three films. I think Chasing the Star has a clearer conclusion if you’ve seen Forty Nights. And you could enjoy The Christ Slayer stand alone, but it will feel much more full if the other two films have been seen. There are some reoccurring characters in the stories that become richer if you’ve watched all three. So they’ve already cut theatrical social media promos and the movie will be on the big screen in April. FOLLOW US HERE “The Quest Trilogy” – https://www.facebook.com/The-QUEST-Trilogy-933210800141426/
- We’ll be forming the LLC for our next endeavor LOST HEART. We’ve got our first investor/EP excited to move forward so I have to play catch up. Our LOI to distribute from our distributor is now in place. This includes a full first look theatrical evaluation due to the partnership. We’ve got some returning stars from past CDI films and a few new faces too. We’ll finalize casting once everything is in place. I’m really excited about this next project and it will be fun, powerful and thought-provoking. Our PR on this will start rolling on this in a few short weeks.
- From the CDI vaults, a much-anticipated sequel has been getting some real attention. We’ve had a few exploratory development talks with a few parties but this is starting to gel. It would give a new director an opportunity to do his first feature that already has an awaiting audience. A director, a pair of new fresh-faced co-stars, a few nostalgic faces and the game could be afoot.
Josh “The Ponceman” Perry and DJ Perry – The Christ Slayer this Easter!
Additionally I’m happy to report receiving the first paycheck of 2019. Freelance or the art of creating a paycheck each and every year is not for everyone. As one year ends we all wonder if another year of income will materialize. So that first one is always nice. I’m happy to report this one is from a new client, a major book publisher. This book runner, which I assume is much like a show runner, went to see Wild Faith. From there she watched a few other films I had written and reached out. I was asked to be a contributor in a book of horse stories. Having done a good number of westerns, I have a few good stories. From those two stories I contributed I was asked about contributing to two other books. I’m enjoying all the writing. I’ve been having some discussions on literary representation. I’ve done past deals just off personal relationships and attorneys but having someone actively seek/bid work-for-hire or sell off scripts I have, but don’t plan to produce, would be perfect.
I saw a cool little saying burnt into a wood plank the other day- something like,
“If the winds won’t agree with you, pick up the oars”
2019 my friends. I hope the winds will be at your back taking you closer to your dreams and goals. But if the air is still and stagnant and your boat sits idle, pick up them oars and get rowing. Life is short so don’t be afraid to fail. But do give your BEST EFFORT, always.
Talk at you next week.
I’ve landed back in Michigan after several weeks in Yuma, AZ filming the second movie in our QUEST TRILOGY entitled “Chasing the Star” – a whirlwind. We went a little early to avoid the intense heat of “40 Nights” shoot. That was a success. We had a wonderful crew who stepped up at every position to make movie magic happen. We have our final few days in Michigan after Easter but they are interior sets and we don’t have to fight the desert. No camels, donkeys, wind storms to deal with. But I want to give a heart felt thanks to all our Yuma crew. We will see you next year for the third film in the series.
The 1st in the series “40 Nights”
This film just played Yuma, AZ at Champion Church to a 500 people giving a standing ovation. It was very humbling and made me proud of those involved. The story is thought provoking and seemed to do just that. It’s making its way into new theaters and church’s on the lead up to our April 5th DVD release.
Yuma, AZ PRESS
PRE-ORDER DVD here
Also releasing the SAME DAY to DVD (April 5th) is “Ashes of Eden” –
Ashes of Eden is an edgy inspirational crime drama, it will have an exclusive premiere on Parables TV (www.parables.tv) April 1, 2016 and will release on DVD April 5, 2016. I love the role I play in this film and fans of the CDI movies will recognize many faces from our tribe.
Please visit these retailers and pre order your copy here.
Following these movies will be a pair of thrillers “Donors” and “Bestseller” that start manufacturing next week. We’ll be promoting those sales sites in the weeks ahead.
IF you want to help these films find their way to you – especially on the big screen.
- Call theaters in your area and request the film. For Yuma, AZ that is Harkins and Regency (formerly Mainstreet) both of whom we are speaking to.
- In Michigan the next markets will be Detroit area (via Emagine or Harkins) and the Alamo for Kalamazoo area.
- If you’ve seen the film put a review on a retail site like amazon or data base like IMDB.com (People will make our their own minds but it helps with placement)
- Talk to your church or organization – we have a sign up page on http://www.40nightsthemovie.com to contact us. Our 1st showing at Champion Church went great – ask them. “Ashes of Eden” would be great for older youth groups.
- Buy the DVD – support positive storytelling.
- Talk about it. Best thing you can do and if we did our job you will be talking about it.
Thank you. I had to get my business out of the way. This is a big week ahead here and lots of distributor meetings are happening. I’m unpacking, readjusting and refocusing so I can prepare to finish our “Chasing the Star” shoot. I will hit the ground running talking Michigan crew in the morning with our director. So give Bret a deserved break as well:)
I’m excited to be on the path we are on. We’ve got other films getting ready to launch. Stay tuned for LOTS of upcoming “Chasing the Star” news and first official looks.
Enjoy the balance of your weekend! I slept 12 hours last night which I needed. Tomorrow it is back into battle but today rest with family and friends:)
In one hour my alumni MSU will kick off against the Fighting Irish. I will take some moments to eat and enjoy the Michigan fall day. The last four days have been dealing with past, present and future. It is a delicate balance between it all. I’ve been working to establish my home base for work and creative endeavors.
My projects have become numerous and I’ve got folders and files at three different locations. I’m going to unify all that once and for all and increase the efficiency of my operations. It has been a great couple weeks as we work on final development for a new film “Ashes of Eden” and deals are underway for several of the CDI library.
I’ve been dealing with a few small issues on one of the films. It is funny how at the end of the day it really only requires good communication to work these things out. I often play the part of the guy who keeps his cool and just looks at the options and choices are made. There are many emotionally charged folks in the entertainment business and that can hinder if allowed. While I consider my passion for the arts to be charged I also think I save most of my high energy for ACTION:)When it comes to business it is usually a step by step deal. So this weekend I’m helping one associate deal with a film issue and we have been wrapping distribution items up for delivery on another. Every week is revising “TO DO” lists and crossing stuff off!
After much back and forth a few TV deals may be looming. These deals are only for a few of the films but you will have to wait to hear more on that. I also know “Outside the Wire” is getting ready to make some announcements and updates. We do have a couple of films heading to big festivals for audiences to enjoy. (Benjamin, Darkest Night)
Additional development work has been steady and I can see a busy 2013 shaping up. This year has brought some good filmmaking and artistry to the screen. I’m looking forward to bringing more of these stories to you all out there.
Tomorrow is the start of soccer play offs so that will be fun. The cool Sept winds have been wonderful for inspiring my morning hazelnut coffee:) That sounds like a good idea:) I’m going to sign off likely to have a beer and watch MSU but coffee might still be good!
Have a great Sat.