Good morning out there everyone. I’ve got the hazelnut coffee fueling me this morning. What a week on all fronts. I went to a memorial yesterday for a high school buddy’s dad. I call it losing training wheels (losing a parent) and it’s happening a little more often now. It was a great reflection on life and again a reminder to us all to enjoy your relationships and to work hard to achieve what’s important to you. The family were surprised and so happy to see myself and another old-school friend.
Just like the many times we all shared laughing and partying around the campfire this gathering also included many toasts. That’s why the hazelnut coffee is my friend this morning. I’ve not had a hangover since New Year’s Day (Thank you Garrett) and this was a mild one, but thankfully it has now passed. I think since the old processor brain is moving slow I’ll just do a random list of updates.
TOP TEN UPDATES FROM LAST WEEK
- We had another digital trading card release last week and a new one will be releasing again this week. I think five from each film. I also know that “Character Cards” and a poster will be coming for the 3rd film in the trilogy “The Christ Slayer” – stay tuned.
- WILD FAITH music score will likely be finishing up this week. Our composer had 8 minutes to go when we spoke last week. We’ll be sitting down with our director Jesse Low this week to discuss the finishing of the film. I can’t wait to do a new watch with the music beds set in.
- “Forty Nights” will be playing Texas in Nov. followed by “Chasing the Star” in Dec. – Iowa will also be showing “Chasing the Star” as part of a Christmas program in December. We’ve just been approached by another church wanting to license. I’m happy that these church’s are going through the proper channels for licensing and not just going pirate on showing the films publicly.
- Upcoming film MBF (Man’s Best Friend) brought on more financial commits and we’ve got sponsorships developing nicely. This week we’ll be announcing more cast members. We met last week and we’ve got our target dates set with cameras to roll in March.
- The book deal on WILD MICHIGAN is close to being done. It was based on the original screenplay before it was restructured for budget as Wild Faith. It will allow readers to experience the original story. It was adapted to book format by author Dee Freeman. It will be available for Christmas!
- The KNIGHT CHILLS book is for sale now on Amazon and will be releasing to retailers nationally. David Hayes was the author who adapted the screenplay/film to a book.
- The “Chasing the Star” investors will be getting another ROI check this week. I truly do LOVE writing checks. It keeps the machine moving.
- Development work continues on several other collaborations. A western, a biopic, a few horror films and a biblical drama. I do love working with other artists and bringing projects from the page to the screen.
- The announcement that one of the library films would be getting new distribution with BMG was made last week. The ink is dry and I’m happy to report “Wicked Spring” our Civil War drama will be releasing early in 2018. The film has never had a digital release due to the initial release was on VHS. This beautifully shot 35mm film will find a new audience. A great “making of” will be included on the DVD. We are also looking at a special Blu Ray release also. PR on this will be forthcoming.
- I enjoyed several meetings this week at the office with a fire burning in the wood stove. I’m going to be doing many more sit downs in the coming weeks. I have sat down with many filmmakers in a meet-n-greet style and will be looking to do many more. Even if we don’t have immediate business I do like to get to know the minds behind some of these other projects.
In addition to the on-going film work I’ve been harvesting and storing everything from tomatoes to kale (A Melissa Anschutz fav at meetings) to mushrooms. My small patch of ink tip shrooms are nothing compared to the giant puff balls I got Friday at my friend’s place. We will be cooking some of those up tonight. I’m sure that I’ve missed a few updates but please do seek out and find your favorite film page on Facebook and follow the updates there.
Have a great week ahead and enjoy your Sunday.
So I’ve got a busy Easter Sunday like everyone else and I have a good amount of info to get across. First let’s just talk about time – my thinking is not naturally inclined towards linear it tends to be more abstract. I saw a childhood friend of mine today. Yes, he’s part of the ole Saratoga Farms Goonie’s gang from our elementary school days. FOND MEMORY: Frozen pond playing ice hockey with no pads – branches for sticks and a petrified mushroom as a puck. This buddy of mine caught a power shot to his nugget. He always did have a good-sized melon but it gave him a K.O. on the ice. He got up after a few with a small mushroom-shaped bruise on his forehead. Well, long story short – his mother passed away. She was the jolly German mom who was always positive and funny. She always had cool activities such as coloring the glow-in-the-dark shrinky dinks. I also think her German chocolate cake was one the best desserts I can recall. So it’s been almost 30 years since I saw this friend and his father. It was wonderful to visit even if it took a memorial to bring us all together. Another close friend lost his dad when I was filming in Yuma, AZ. He always had a beer for us guys and was willing to school us all in a game of pool. It’s just an odd feeling as our wisdom keepers around us start to fade away just as our gray starts to fade in. Interesting. Well…
INT. MY WRITING CHAIR – NIGHT
Returning as Jesus in ‘The Christ Slayer’
The Christ Slayer
I’ve been in research and writing mode. I start with just a little bit each day and honestly that’s all the time I’ve had time for. End of year business has kept me busy and working on the wrap up on “The Christ Slayer” production. But that is almost complete and the film is in editing where the magic can start happening.
Chasing the Star
Next week we have our Michigan premiere for “Chasing the Star” which is open to the public.
Following that –
It will be moving to other cities in the days ahead including this showed up on my news feed.
Coming to…?:) maybe a hint below…
What will become of mankind? The Devil & Jesus debate the fate of mankind.
This film is getting a wonderful launch during this Easter season. Here are some of the retailers that were quick to jump on this first telling in the trilogy. We thank you.
CROSSROADS BOOK & MUSIC
GOOD NEWS BOOKS
ABUNDANT BLESSINGS CHRISTIAN
CHRISTIAN BOOK & GIFT
MUSTARD SEED CHRISTIAN BKST
CHRIST CENTERED LIFE STORE
TRI-CITY CHRISTIAN BOOKSTORE
BREAD OF LIFE
GOOD NEWS BIBLE & BOOKS
NEW BIRTH MISSIONARY BOOKSTORE
WAY TO EMMAUS INC
LIVING ROOM BOOKSTORE LLC
GOOD NEWS CHRISTIAN BOOKS
LIGHTHOUSE BOOK & BIBLE
PATHWAYS CHRISTIAN BOOKSTORE
CLC BOOKCENTER SONSHINE
BARNHILL CHRISTIAN RESOURCES
GREATEST GIFT & SCRIPTURE SUPPLY
BRIMAR – DBA J FARVERS
THE ARK BOOK AND GIFT
STEWART TRADING LLC
WILLAS BIBLE BOOKSTORE
This week the “Forty Nights” release has brought us all kinds of good PR. This is in the wake of the reviews and nominations by ICFF for four separate awards this May.
One of the stories from the week
Here is one of the powerful reviews coming at the film. For those who take the time to share their positive experiences with us we’re humbly appreciative. We hope the trilogy of films will create positive talk, discussions and actions.
As if all this wasn’t exciting enough – I have a new cut of Wild Faith waiting to review and that means we’re close to a picture lock. That means music and sound will be on deck with Dennis Therrian. VFX discussions have been happening and I’m excited about some of the creative and business discussions we’ve had. We’ve got all kinds of links. Who wants to see an extra created “Wild Faith” BTS video from our Civil War shoot. I really enjoyed making this film – let’s take a watch.
Next week it will be picking right up where we left off. I’m diving deeper into development on 2018 projects and we have a few possible projects to finish this year. As for now I have a garden to get prepped and a soccer season about to kick off.
Have a great Easter weekend. Be good to one another.
“In the misty morning on the edge of time, we’ve lost the rising sun – the final sign” – I think that was Ronnie James Dio lyrics but outside in Michigan reminds me of that. I’ve got the hazelnut hot and ready as I chase the haze away from the brain and ponder the past week and the week ahead.
This weekend has been one of quiet recharge at the fortress of solitude. I’ve been prepping the office for more meetings ahead this week as I work hard to finalize our commits on “The Christ Slayer” shoot. The ship is almost built with many of the cast and crew falling into place. The week ended with me getting the paperwork around so that the bank account can be opened and we can start fueling the ship for our voyage. It’s exciting that we’ve found two of our new leads and I plan to announce them tomorrow. One I’ve known a good handful of years and we’ve played opposite each other a few times but in an antagonistic way. No! It is not Terry Jernigan, he was our John the Baptist. I’m really looking forward to working with this individual and he will be great in the role. Opposite him is a wonderful actress who brings the perfect mix of emotions we were looking for. We’ve actually read several ladies for this role over the last couple years but she stood out strongest. I’m excited to introduce them to all of you. C.W.C.S. that is my hint to all of you on the identity of these two talents stepping into the third film. In the supporting roles we’ve been looking at many wonderful talents and we’ll be making offers soon. That is part of all the business work so we can actually do that. I wanna thank my entire team that works so very hard to make all these things happen.
“Forty Nights” is being remastered and delivered for the 4/4/17 release date. I know that the paperwork delivery in underway and we should have new artwork in the coming weeks.
“Chasing the Star” has just completed color correction and I saw the concept art for the teaser/theatrical poster. We’re looking at this film hitting select theater’s shortly after the “Forty Nights” release and will release on digital and DVD in September.
“Wild Faith” is moving along and we will be getting close to an edit here soon. Music and sound design is just finishing “Chasing the Star” and so once that film is complete “Wild Faith” will move in. We’re going to start having some story meetings and develop our series package once I finish the business tasks at hand. I’m really excited for everyone to see this much-needed story of unity and hope. It would be a great series and if it is meant to be – it will. Also it would shoot in Michigan which would give me a great opportunity to work with many of our Michigan actors.
Aside from all this pre- and post film business I will continue to get in my daily writing. I’ve got many scripts finished but always good to keep moving. I truly enjoy writing and it goes so well with coffee.
Today I’m going to a memorial for my Aunt who was spunk right into her 90’s with a love of Willie Nelson and technology. My heart also goes out to another good friend who lost his wife. It is not really my place to promote that loss so I won’t, but she was a good woman and will be missed. I’m going to wrap this up and get a jump on some of my Monday business.
Be good to one another. We’re all on this spaceship Earth for this short ride together.