The last week of the 47th trip around the SUN:)
A whirlwind week leading up to the bday weekend. Forty seven trips around this star we call the sun. We had a busy week leading up to the weekend whereas we had a small gathering of folks for my bday and the CDI gathering. I had a busy week because of the dropped elm tree causing a lot of chaos to the yard. All the small stuff got burnt up and the logs stacked and/or organized. The garden is getting a lot more sun with the dead tree down. We smoked a pair of pork shoulders and a large turkey to have sandwiches at the gathering. So the latter part of the week I got to conduct business to the wonderful smells coming from the smoker. The house, office and yard all got a good grooming which is always nice. The spring cleaning is over and time to enjoy summer. My brother made me a wrought iron arch that you install logs onto and also the upper siding will be put on the office this week. (Happy Bday to myself) – After several years I now have a new grill – so grill N chill can power on.
The garden is growing like crazy and I’ve been getting bowls of mulberries everyday for my wine endeavors. Last night at our little gathering we had some of the “Top of the Day” Irish Stout and I think it passed the test. We had some great punch with a punch thanks to my friend Mr. Glarner and Sanctuary Spirits. The RUM was flowing like a pirate fest. Many activities every weekend in the Summer for people so I’m just always appreciative to whomever makes the stop by. I think a good time was had by all and it was a good day to reflect on all the good that has happened in the last year. Lots of excitement and talk about the next 12 months ahead. I will do a short recap of things but I believe I might need a nap before tonight’s soccer match. The temps should be much better as long as we don’t get rained out.
Okay. A few movie updates.
WILD FAITH – ADR work has been underway in the studio as well as spicing up the sound design on the battle scenes. VFX foundation work underway and I’ll be meeting with director Jesse Low to discuss more on this project. I will say some nice BTS, a new trailer and poster are just some of the cool new promo pieces coming soon.
The Quest Trilogy
The website for the trilogy will house the sites for all three films in the future and so we’ve been developing that. Also a new CDI website will be going up this Summer. Forty Nights is expanding into the General market as Sony keeps pushing the digital. We had a few nice reviews coming out on “Forty Nights” and so we’ll be encouraging people to watch the 1st film in the trilogy. We’re still exploring more theatrical on “Chasing the Star” but the film is delivered and will soon be mastered by BMG. “The Christ Slayer” is polishing the edit and VFX work has started. We shared a short model video on the FB site for “The Christ Slayer” and more will follow.
The Friday of my Bday I completed Version 1 of a new screenplay. That put a smile on my face. Scripts are the blueprints that a team works from. I’m happy to be in development mode. The back half of the year will be interesting. We’ll have films releasing as we start the creation of new content. Thank you to everyone who sent their well wishes. I had a few people I know pass away this year that won’t be going on this new journey around the sun. So that said, I’m appreciative that I can keep clawing my way to the middle:)
Well last week we had a nice jump in readers and I’m not sure exactly why that was – maybe people like the more random format? I just came in from the second full day of working in the yard. I gave a good mow with trimming and we put in the garden. Also built a new garden entrance and basically just got the summer stuff into full swing. As noted before the HOPS are growing like mad and we’re about to have raspberry explosion. The mulberries are also prepping to ripen soon. This year we did more tomatoes, beans, squash, peppers and more. It makes for some really nice salads and sandwiches. This year we’re also trying some various lettuces. I’m also going to plant some gourds and will try pumpkins again. The pack has enjoyed the outside time. I hope to also be putting the last of the upper siding on the office in the coming months. I’ve been doing a lot of organization and rearranging. I’m just trying to get ready for the projects that lie ahead. Let’s try the random updates again.
The book for “Knight Chills” is on target to release this year and I was given the book art that was commissioned by the distribution company and it is COOL! I will look at giving a sneak peek in the weeks ahead.
A deal for the other CDI books might also be in the works so some of the other scripts that had been novelized might be heading to you. Ghost Town, Wild Faith – might be a few to get things rolling.
I also saw a first mock-up draft of the new CDI website. I’m excited about all the interactive attributes that will allow for a much better experience.
I’m beginning talks with a few other distributors for R-rated content within CDI. The thrillers and horror films past, present and future need to have the same flow as our family/faith distribution. So those talks will be happening this Summer.
“Forty Nights” continues to bring some great and inspiring fan mail. The film just went up on Amazon Prime and will continue to expand.
On set “Chasing the Star” with Logan Kishi
“Chasing the Star” was delivered to our distributor BMG this past week to prep it for the Sept. 5th national launch. Exploring some new theatrical runs as the Michigan run came to a close.
“The Christ Slayer” has a first edit! We’ll be reviewing that this coming week. We got to watch a select scene from the film as a teaser and I was very happy with what I saw. Trailer and poster will be up next.
“Wild Faith” we’ll be reviewing the sound design this coming week as music is preparing to go full speed ahead. This trailer and film is generating a lot of hype. The film is deserving as you’ll all see once it’s released. We’re exploring all the possibilities for the ongoing series.
I’ve been working hard on making writing time and I’m closing in on a feature script that I feel strongly about both creatively and business-wise. I’m also in talks on a few possible paid work-for-hire gigs. I am looking forward to getting back in front of the camera just looking for the right role. After coming off “The Christ Slayer” I’m looking for a really strong script/role to sink my teeth into.
I hope you spend some time with family and friends. I have a few more gatherings with just that tonight and tomorrow. I think I might need to shut down for 15 minutes. Just a quick checking of the eye lids for holes.
Be good to one another.
I’m waiting for the coffee to finish as I start typing. I have a full day today and so I wanted to get a jump on it. As usual I want to welcome all our international readers from Poland, Argentina and more. Part of the balance of an artist is to navigate all the elements life presents. Since returning from filming ‘The Christ Slayer’ I’ve been working on getting the entire operation in order. That part as I’ve stated before is not the most fun part. While others seek their next role on camera I’m recording, tracking and remitting on other films. This week was important because as “Forty Nights” is fully entering the flow and thank you too all those of you who have watched the film. It is a business and that work must be done. Also ‘Chasing the Star’ will soon be heading into the national/international market so getting this “business flow” set up is the smart thing. Being that I’ve not yet had a sip of coffee my thoughts are still a little scattered so maybe we’ll have a shotgun news day with no exact order. I call this 10 UPDATES/LESSONS OF THE WEEK.
- “Forty Nights” had 4 nominations at the #ICFF and WON ‘Most Inspirational Movie’ and we’ve got an internal process of PR. I did notice that the film experienced a lil’ hate with the nomination nods and more when it won. I know this comes from the frustration of actors/filmmakers/screenwriters who despise seeing other projects move while their passion sits stagnant. (Coffee is ready – time out) (OK – game on) A few facts are that some of our projects have failed to launch. I’ve discovered that we often get stuck in a rut of trying to push something that is not ready. If you get better at reading momentum that helps your endeavors. Some people want to push with everything and not back down but if it is not meant to be, it will not come to pass. Patience is a bitch.
- I had a meeting this week where it was pointed out that many in the local community don’t love the isolation attitude of our company. The truth is that I work hard on TO DO’s everyday. I turn it off everyday with things to do tomorrow. I could spend time at various industry mixers but it comes at the expense of something I need to do. I could spend $100 on food and drinks to discuss other people’s endeavors but it comes at the expense of writing 10 pages of script or not reviewing that international sales agreement. It was easier when I was a nomadic film warrior in my 20’s but I have domestic activities that I enjoy – yard work/tinkering is one of them. So it is not that I don’t care what others are doing industry-wise (I’m actually quite informed) but I just love what we’re doing more and know fully the hard work required to move those pieces ahead on the board. Talk to anyone who has participated in one of our endeavors and the response is usually very different versus the person who has not yet done business with us. Again I say, DON’T HATE, CREATE. That should go on tee-shirts.
- Again Cannes Film Festival is underway and I’ve done that Hollywood scene and it is a fun world to visit. But it will devour your time and financial resources and again you can visit trendy places with your resources or you can create art and content. Many of those parties cost thousands of dollars to attend. I also said that I will consider attending only accompanying a piece of art we’ve created. Maybe one day. I have no problem with those who love to attend those events – I’m just working steadily towards goals.
- Dennis Therrian our main composer, sound designer and post supervisor is prepping ‘Chasing the Star’ for delivery to our distributor for the national launch in September. He’s also just finishing sound design on “Wild faith” and will soon start the music. He recently was nominated for ‘Best Music Score’ at #ICFF with “Forty Nights” which also was mentioned as winning ‘Most Inspirational’ so if like several of us out there you like to write/work to music scores this is a great one to buy and listen to. – BUY HERE https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/40-nights-soundtrack/id1114858978 More of the scores are going to be releasing to sound track including “Chasing the Star” another beautiful collection of music.
- I touched on patience and reading momentum. I am subject to these laws myself. Some great production developments are moving a touch slow due to factors outside myself. They are great opportunities it just requires me to be accepting and have patience. A great opportunity for a TV series behind “Wild Faith” exists and development has begun. I would have LOVED to roll cameras in 2018 but the main national roll out for the feature will be in 2018 and so the series production will likely fall to 2019. Not what I had first wanted but that is the business of it all.
- A new biblical trilogy to follow THE QUEST TRILOGY is being developed and one of the scripts is done. The other two are in development. Right now the name of the trilogy is THE CONQUEST TRILOGY. Old Testament, No Jesus, No Angels/Fallen Angels and they do not tie into the first trilogy. That group of films is complete. The last film in THE QUEST TRILOGY entitled ‘The Christ Slayer’ is almost done with the first edit. So I’m not sure if the 1st film in this new trilogy will film in 2018 or not. I have a few other business pieces to put in place.
- Since I’ve accepted the flow of development for not what I want but what is – I’m finishing a script this month that just might go into production this fall in Michigan. It is a story that I’ve had my heart into for a year or two but just needed to finish the story. A first draft will be done at month’s end. #MBF
- The Michigan theatrical run is complete on “Chasing the Star” and this week we’ll be discussing new destinations for this film to play. This week our time on this project got devoured by delivery work. The final film will be sent off for final DVD mastering. We had a few bumps in flow because we changed a few things in the process on this film. Lesson – If it isn’t broken don’t fix it:) All is good just a small amount of additional time spent which could have been avoided with a bit stronger management. (I’m speaking to myself:)
- Some exciting things happening with the CDI website (www.cdiproductions.com) which has been in discussions for several years. The entire CDI library is digitized so that was a key element to what we’re doing. The site will be getting a major upgrade that will include the ability for people to purchase and stream past CDI films. Will we stop at CDI films? We will see – one step at a time. I also have had interest in doing some major merchandising so that is something we will explore.
- Speaking of spin off’s – BOOKS. E-Books to be more exact whereas several our films/scripts have been written into books. Those are about to come to market. That deal is underway and like everything else takes time to put the pieces together.
So in conclusion, every week is a busy week. I am open to discussion on new business but with how crazy everything is I’m not likely to get to another town to pub it and talk shop. If you truly think we have some good business reach out. We’ve done many associated films. I can promise that you will get truth from my perspective. I will not BS you and while I don’t always tell people what they want to hear I will tell it to you straight. I do consider acting in outside projects but all I ask is that its at the true pre-production stage and not dreamer stage. I had a phone meeting Friday whereas a NYC production had reached out wanting me to act. Sent me the script, the book it was based on etc…I read two chapters and knew in my gut that the film was nowhere close to shooting. That was two years ago. I’m glad those hours of reading were spent elsewhere. I’ve also participated and was paid (thank you) on a couple of projects that have never finished. Years have clicked by and still no finished film. The artist in me is what hurts on those projects. I was paid for my time, my art but we do it to share. If it was just about shells and beads ($$$) there is easier ways to make it. I’m going to go fill the coffee cup and get on with a few morning activities. I have a soccer match to play today if we don’t get cancelled because of storms. Some relax time with friends and family and tomorrow we go after the TO DO list again. I hope you all have a great day and a productive week.
Be good to one another.
A rainy yet peaceful Sunday as I eat some peanut butter toast and sip it down with my coffee. This past week was full of good developments and opportunities. Let’s jump into some of the updates. First, “Chasing the Star” has moved from Lansing, MI Celebration Cinema to Emagine’s Royal Oak, MI in Detroit.
After that the film will travel back to Celebration Cinema in Grand Rapids, MI for a week – where after that? We’ll see.
As you watch this film it would be great for you to travel over to http://www.imdb.com and search “Chasing the Star” VOTE and leave a REVIEW if so inclined. I enjoy seeing what audiences connected with. We have a couple of quality reviews coming up this week on the film. One really made me smile and was sent by our distributor Sat morning. Another highlight for me was watching “CTS” on the sixty foot high IMAX screen in 5.1 – sitting in the recliner seats. So nice, it was also the screening my parents attended.
This upcoming month of May will have members of our team traveling to Florida for the ICFF festival where “Forty Nights” is up for several awards.
The remastered movie is now available on DVD and streaming.
Here is one of the featured new sites at Wal-Mart.
OR our friends at Christian Book
I also know we’re prepping for foreign sales with all the films. I see some of our foreign readers commenting and I sincerely wish to get our products to your territories. Same as “Chasing the Star” if you’ve seen the film please go to http://www.imdb.com “40 Nights or Forty Nights” and VOTE/REVIEW.
The Christ Slayer
The third film in the trilogy is now in full editing. We’ve also been adding to the post-production team in the arena of VFX. We’ll be making some announcements on all that in the coming weeks . A first poster and trailer will arrive at some point here soon. We’re also going to be launching a new QUEST TRILOGY website in the coming weeks. Exciting stuff.
This has been an exciting project to move down the line. A VFX team is brought together. The “picture cut” has moved on to music and sound design and in a few months we’ll have our finished film. In the meantime the series spin-off is having serious talk. Lots of development work is being done on this endeavor. Hard work usually = progress.
Several additional projects are in development. I’m writing daily on new material. We’ll be making some announcements later in the year about the direction of some of these new projects. Aside from that I’m excited about getting the garden going and soccer starting next weekend. It will be time to tie up the cleats and kick some gr(ass).
I hope you all have a great end to your weekend and a great week ahead.
Be good to one another.
It is a beautiful Sunday with the birds chirping and now a hot cup of coffee in my hand. The past week like previous ones was very busy but good progress was made in moving ahead. It was nice to spend time at home working on the yard/office and taking some great meetings. Today is exciting because we’re putting the garden in today. I’m also excited that one of our new apple trees that gave us two (2) apples last year is now LOADED. So that could mean hard cider. The raspberries and mulberries are also developing so more jellies and wines could be on deck. The hops have been moved and will now grow nicely up our lattice. I’ve been planting seed both literally and with new relationships and projects. Let’s look at a few.
“40 Nights” screening! Thank you to our friends at Reign. Our E.P. Rebecca Lawlor and actor Logan Kishi presented our film to a group of pastors. We ask, if you liked the film’s message and want to support this kind of content – please add “40 Nights” to your collection and post a review at movie sites (www.imdb.com) or retail sites (www.amazon.com). I’m told that five new screenings have opened up from this above showing and we have a growing list of church’s from our website we’ll be contacting. It’s a great movie to EXPERIENCE on the big screen.
The soundtrack for “40 Nights” is now available to purchase on iTunes. I truly LOVE this soundtrack. It’s beautiful back ground music for any occasion.
The next soundtrack will be the dark thriller “Bestseller” which we’re targeting June 7th release with the film also releasing to iTUNES. It can be purchased online – check out http://www.bestsellerthemovie.com also foreign negotiations will start in the coming weeks.
BUY “Bestseller” now
NEW PR about C.U.J.O. for those interested…
Jesse Low, our director from “40 Nights” has entered into developmental work on the next CDI feature he will direct this year. We will start putting the business together on it this June. We’re all excited to work with Jesse again and we’ll be announcing the project formerly soon.
We’ve also been in talks on a project with BlackJacket Films. They were the production team on the Tony Hornus film “Standing Post” film. I’m excited about the new opportunity here to take another great story to the screen. PreViz and concept art is being developed and the business deal is being worked out.
“Chasing the Star” – We got to spend some time in the edit suite reviewing nearly 50 minutes of the film. I also enjoyed watching the professional manner in which they conducted themselves. This film will be a wonderful follow-up to “40 Nights” and development on the third film “The Christ Slayer” is now underway.
Lot’s more happening but some are deals that are not yet done. I need to shift my focus here to working the dirt and doing some planting. So spend time with family and remember those who gave for your freedom.